Today I wanted to use an Android emulator and use the Charles Web Application Proxy to debug headers being sent over the wire. Here’s how to get an Android emulator running on your Windows machine.
- Download Android Studio for free
- Open Android Studio
- In Android Studio, navigate to Tools menu > Android > AVD Manager. This is the manager for your images and devices.
- Create a new image from recommended images. You might have to enable Virtualisation VXD in your system BIOS settings.
- Your virtual android devices might not show in Android Studio up if you are using spaces or special characters, so use plain names for your emulator device names.
- Your list of emulated devices should show up in the AVD Manager.
- Create and manage virtual devices (Android Studio help)
- Charles Web Proxy (intermediary between phone and the internet)
Edit: There are more useful things out there now Microsoft and Android play together a bit more nicely. Check out the Xamarin suite – especially the Xamarin Live Player. (Cheers Chris!)